Thursday, April 10, 2008

First day at the Collection





Today was pretty stellar. It was my first real day, gettin' my hands dirty (but actually vigourously washed to prepare to handle antique thingies).

First, I archived these old magazines. There are Harpers Bazaar and Vogue issues all the way back to the thirties, as well as other magazines from France and textile-trend mags from the 19th century. I was in heaven! As I archived, and photo'd (excuse my non-use of cropping), a guy from the National Button Association was busy identifying and appraising a whole passel of Civil War buttons that had been bequeathed to us.

Fun fact: Vogue used to be published bi-monthly, but only during certain months (like, not June).

Above, an October 15, 1968 issue of Vogue. An advertisement for Maidenform's Sea dreams lingerie collection, with fabulous scallop insets and details! I love finding pics in old magazines that resemble outfits people would wear today. Here, a colorful and tailored outfit featuring brogues... looking like a more sophisticated and funky Marcia Brady. Boy, the Sixties sure made long hair seem very appealing! Lastly, the cover, with fabulously representative makeup of the decade.

No comments: