Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Yokoo.

I was Flickr Group-hopping yesterday and found Yokoo, an Atlanta-based fashion photographer with a thing for flannel, glasses and public spaces. She also makes these fabulous, ultra-chunky scarves sold here. Her shots have the most wonderful mysterious moodiness to them, as well as fantastic "Japan goes grunge" styling.


I love the outfit, but I like more the overall theme of taking ownership of public space.



Hiding while putting oneself on view. Here, Yokoo in one of her scarves that I MUST HAVE!


One of my favorites. The colors are extraordinary, and I love how the kinetic blue slide in the background contrasts the staticity of the subject and almost tired expression behind glasses that fall shy of fitting correctly.



I love this model's almost Renaissance-like "Madonna"-expression coupled with wind-whipped hair. You can almost feel the weather in this photo.


I love how Yokoo's photographs inject glamour into otherwise declasse ensembles; a great deal of her photos challenge the viewer to not find something beautiful about them.


I really connect with this clever photo because for me, the best predictor of "good people" is a sense of playfulness.




.

5 comments:

Missa said...

She's awesome.

Anonymous said...

What fun, outlandish, moody photos. She seems like someone to have a beer with, for sure. And I both love and agree with your assessment that playfulness is the litmus test for goodness. Too right, you.

Val said...

Such great photography. Her scarves look amazing, I want one right away.

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

These are really fun. Thanks for sharing, I'm going to go check out her whole stream.

Eyeliah said...

Thse photos are great, love the post office box shot. I need to get out more with my camera for outfit shots, I'm just too shy (for now).