Wednesday, July 16, 2008

On Me Today

Here, a rare view of where I work...

Swing Jacket: Macy's. Ombre Dress: Thrifted. Tights: UO. Flats: Etienne Aigner.

Did you know that at the turn of the 20th century, there was a movement by the upper classes to pass a law that serving classes could only wear black? I used to work for a large department store, and the second day there, they announced that sales staff would have to adopt an all-black dress code. They claimed it was so customers could more easily identify staff, but whenever I visit that same department store, I find it difficult to spot staff because they fade into the background. I believed this to be the actual point of the dress code; so that the staff's appearance would not distract the shopper's eye from the merchandise.

I typically feel like more of a "brown" girl than a "black" girl, so being forced to wear naught but black day in and day out rather made me hate the color. Recently though, I feel like I'm reclaiming black and making it my own. I'm discovering that black is best worn when well-tailored, in striking shapes and unusual textures; and that the drama created by a few good black pieces is too good to completely exclude the color from one's wardrobe.



It really is the shortest-cielinged dressing room in the world! Don't make me sing "Trapped in a Box"!

.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Huh. I wonder if the servants-in-black proposition was also a subtle way to keep the lower classes from feeling too empowered. Wearing all black all day is such an energy-suck, I think. The upper crust probably wasn't that psych-savvy, but I bet depressed, non-uppity servants were a result of the black rule. If it was ever enforced ...

YOU, however, look tres chic in your black/white/grey ensemble. And I DEMAND that you sing "Trapped in a Box."

L.I.N said...

that ombre dress looks perfect on you!

p/s: you have been linked :D

nv said...

i love your ombre dress!

CULTURE CREATORS said...

LOve that color in tie-dye looks great!





xCC

Missa said...

I love that dress and how you've styled it to stand out against the black!

Anonymous said...

Great outfit!
I like that your leggings are toeless, it makes a perfect match to your flats!