Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Short, 1; Long, 0


After spending the last few months getting my hair carefully cut to grow out gracefully, and having it now at near-shoulder length, I'm getting it cut back off tomorrow. It's not that I can't wait, it's that the corner of my brain reserved for musings on hair lengths has been a warzone of indecision. You see, I have a love/hate relationship with long hair.

I'm lucky enough that, when my hair is long, it's thick and shiny. When my hair is short, I have fantasies of being a girlish, long-haired bohemian lass, or saucy and Bardot-ish, that having long hair will somehow maximize my feminine potential. Also, it would unite me with the majority of chicks (on campus at least) with long, straight hair. But of course, long hair has its reality, which is split-ends, lack of volume, tangles, long styling time, and loose hairs in drains, on the bottom of your shoe, on a pillow.... finding long hairs is one of the things that grosses me out the most.

To me, short hair feels assertive, fun and fashionable; a proper match to how I regard myself. When my hair is longer, I don't feel that way. I feel heavy, like I'm covering myself up. Above is the inspiration pic I hand to my stylist. Circular layers, heavy texturizing, feminine, and nape-length in back.


[image from www.becauseimaddicted.blogspot.com]

No comments: