Friday, January 23, 2009

Somethin for the whimsical ones of ya.

If you love Klimt or Erte, you'll love these black and white illustrations by Harry Clarke. Harry Clarke was apprenticed in stained glass by his father around the turn of the 20th century, but later turned to illustration. However, his background in stained glass shines through. Yes, I said it. Here, some illustrations he did for Hans Christian Anderson and Edgar Allen Poe.









A whole cache of turn-of-the-century children's book illustrations are available here, for the crafty ones of you out there, some could make particularly terrific tee-shirt graphics. And now, because I couldn't resist, the haunting song and goofy fairy tale video that's been going through my head as I peruse these pictures (Kate Bush's "Hounds of Love").



.

3 comments:

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

I love these, they're so detailed. I want to stare at them and doodle an imitation. :)

Anonymous said...

Whenever I see art this ornate I marvel at the patience of the artist. Astounding.

Caroline said...

These are fabulous