Monday, January 26, 2009

Figures.

I've been watching the US Figure Skating Championships the last couple of evenings, and I have to say that it seems like the sport has been stepping up its game. Much more expressive, with the kinds of lifts and flips reserved for swing dancing. And, the costumes are taking a step up from your basic bedazzled Capezio.


So stunningly 195o's (save for the fringe)! Does she not remind you of Casey from Casey's Musings?


One of the male friends watching with me said this: "Figure skating is probably one of the hardest things to do out there; it always blows my mind the amount of athletic ability funnelled into looking pretty. Every one of them started, imagining themselves floating and glittery past an audience." I never really thought about it that way before, but it truly is a sport whose success is not tallied through number of touchdowns or runs-batted-in, but to most viewers, in beauty.


According to my hypothesis above; winners! How adorable are they? I love, like lovelove her skirt.


I love this girl's Gothic early screen star vibe.


These two, Keauna McLaughlin and Rockne Brubaker, are easily my favorites. While they are not perfect, they have presence and that Keauna just exudes joy in her sport (she competed throughout a bout of pneumonia even!) I actually cried watching their program. It was then that I knew I had to stock up on tampons.

And for you vintage lovin' fiends like me out there, some skating costumes from the 1940's and 1950's...


Ohmigod! Yes-- a tam is exactly what's missing from the modern girl's figure skating wardrobe!

Straight-up adorable... I kinda wish she'd skate by me in the stands with a burger and fries.

Now this is a woman who understands what figure skating is about! Diva!

Shake ya tailfeather, girl! Beautiful and risque, my goodness, especially for the times! Check out her partner in the sparkling pinstripes. Gangsta! Seriously! Can this please become a street style tomorrow?


Skater Carol Lynne, pioneering a still-photography technique using strobes and lights embedded in her skates. Such an arresting photograph! And what a perfectly aspirational body. Such a beautiful woman.

So, I may not be a figure skater now, though I did take lessons as a wee one. I was never too athletically inclined; I figured that falling was half the fun! However, I have taken away a couple of things from those lessons of yore:

How to rock a short skirt and tights and slide across a slippery surface--

In this case, a banister.

...and finish off with the most dramatic of poses.



Turtleneck: Victoria's Secret. Skirt (actually a dress): Thrifted. Tights: Target. Shoes: Nine West via Amazon.com.


[images Googled like crazy. Carol Lynne is from Time Magazine Archives. If I've used an image of yours and would like me to credit you, please let me know and I will be more than happy to!]

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

YOU'RE the winner in my book. Perfect 10. Especially that last, awesome pose.