Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Women of Sports

This week, I'm gathering inspiration for my collection. In addition to the pastels, ruffles, and ultra over-the-top accessories found in Marie Antoinette, my dresses will be inspired by, and tailored to genteel sports such as tennis, golf and riding. I've been cruising the interwebs for images of female athletes during the 1920's and 1930's.

Here, we have Suzanne Lenglen, dressed to impress by Jean Patou. At the time, her signature sweatband was considered quite wild... before her, hats were de rigeur. She was noted for her theatrical game.




How perfectly balletic! Her "poses" would be perfect for fashion plates.


Next, Babe Didrikson. An all-around athlete who found success in track events such as the long jump and swimming, she was most renowned in golf. She is so classic! I love the clean skirt, shoes and socks in this image.


Billie Jean King played a bit later than the rest of these ladies, in the 1960's and 70's, so I feel like I'm breaking the theme. However, I like her fitted bodice, flared skirt with shorts underneath, and her Antoinette-esque spunk!


My collection is going to be quite print-heavy, and I thought this Chinese print from the 1920's to 1930's was a good starting point. The hair, the pink dress, especially, and the shoes (do I smell some wedged sneakers making an appearance in my collection?) How adorable is this picture?


All this image research is instilling in me a powerful thirst for some sportitude. I think I'm going to have to play a round of golf or tennis this week, maybe Saturday! I'll report back on my fashion findings...


[image 1 via www.actuallynotes.com, image 2 via www.theonlinephotographer.typepad.com, image 3 via www.nytstore.com, images 4 and 5 via flickr.com]