Sunday, March 23, 2008

3.15.08. Saturday. Pie Day!





We got up early and snagged a snack from the Sleepless Goat. Was stuck to "The Lonely Goatherd" from "The Sound of Music" all day.

Chris and his friend Owen have an awesome radio program called "Cognitive Dissonance" about psychology and music (listen in on www.cfrc.ca). We went to the studio in Carruthers Hall at Queen's College to sit-in on that day's show. Much to my fright and eventual amusement, I actually got to be on the show! We talked about favorite songs, making granola, and singing as a cure for stuttering.

Afterwards, we went to the flea market and found this great deer figurine! I've been on the prowl after having broken the porcelain star of my 2009 calendar and now I can begin shooting again. I took this shot today, next to the first blooms I've seen this year.

Afterwards, we took to the supermarket to pick up pie ingredients. In honor of our coming, Chris planned a Pie Party! Chris was going to make a poutine pie. For those who don't know, and I didn't, poutine is Canadian "drunk food": fries, gravy, and cheese. And tonight, these items were going into a pie crust.

Just about as soon as we returned, I realized that I felt like a bum not contributing a pie! The only food place still open was a convenience store, so I bought some chocolate pudding cups, a pack of oreos, Cool Whip and a pie crust and proceded to put together an Oreo Pie. I was more than gratified when I overheard guests tell eachother to check out the chocolate pie!

Other pies that came to or were constructed at the party: a lattice-crusted Apple-Blackberry Pie, Pear and Stilton (my personal fave. Amazing.), Banoffee (my close second-fave. Bananas, Dulce de Leche, Chocolate. Recipe detailed on my food blog, here.) There was also Chocolate Pecan, Lemon Meringue, and Chris' Poutine Pie.

Everybody got nice and drunk and full of pie, then challenged eachother to Crokinole, a game that melds Tiddlywinks and shuffleboard... the party was amazing. Thanks Chris!

No comments: