Thursday, June 3, 2010

Case of the Confounding Dress

Dress:  Banana Republic.  Shoes:  Steve Madden.  Shades:  80s Purple.

I don't know what it is with this dress.  It and I have a confounding relationship.  It was actually picked out for me by my Sweetness, and-- as the compliments that flow from him whenever I wear it would lead me to believe-- it's probably my best look evarrr.  But the thing is like a hologram.  I love the color, and in front of the mirror at home, it's a-ok.  But throughout the day, I'll catch myself in reflections and the frumptastic, overly-boobish, pooch-exemplifying nature of this dress flashes maliciously back at me.  In fact, as I was driving home, I thought-- that's it!  This thing is going straight to Goodwill.  I'll take outfit photos and entitle my blog post RIP Nightmare Dress.  Then I took a couple of photos and thought-- eh, this thing isn't so bad!  Maybe I judged too quickly!  And that is the ordeal I go through every time I wear this dress.

Probably it's because it's out of my normal range of thing-wearing, in that it ties further up than I'm accustomed, highlighting the girls, which typically I try to keep as streamlined as possible.  Also, I kind of hate jersey for its clingy properties, and typically go for wovens.  So maybe, if I put Sal-like logic to the problem, it doesn't matter what I actually look like in it-- its outside of my boundaries in a way that makes me not feel my best when I wear it.  So I toss it out on its ear.

Something that is going right today??


Hot shades!

These Wang-esque cat-eye shades.  The other night, I was paralyzed in front of the computer with 4 pairs of sunglasses in my shopping cart, but with 2 sunglasses worth in my Paypal.  None of the pairs would budge and I resigned myself to the sad thought that I may, in fact, just bite the bullet and buy 4 pairs of sunglasses.  When, lo and behold, an Etsy order came in right at the moment for the exact amount of all 4 and the "buy" button was gleefully clicked-- though not without finally ruling out one pair.  I don't know about you, but it's easier for me to not spend money when I actually have some.  Hmph!  So this is the first of three-- I can't wait to present them all to you in moving photo-essay format...

Til then,

Elissa.

2 comments:

The Waves said...

You look fantastic in the dress, but hey, if it doesn't feel right, then it just, well, doesn't.

The sunnies are super.

Kelly said...

Awesome glasses!!