Sunday, May 23, 2010

K-kinda busy...

Many of our neighbors are into the drag scene.  Last weekend, one neighbor had a garage sale, and we went over to formally introduce ourselves (even though we've lived here, like, 6 months.  We just aren't neighbor-meeting types.)



He took us down to the basement, to the "drag lab" and it was a-freakin-mazing.  Wigs of every style and color, scepters and sashes, a giant vanity with a mirror lined in bulbs.  The crowning glory of the room was the giant, commercial sewing machine and serger used for creating gowns, gowns and even more sparkly, spangly, ruched, ruffled gowns.



My sweets asked if they made any men's clothes, to which they answered that it would be a welcome change!  We're going to the beach in July for a week, and he's dying to get a one-piece, 1920's-style swimsuit.  But, he's a man of imposing proportions, so most standard-sized clothing doesn't fit him-- and seeing as the only place to get such a swimsuit would be online (virtually guaranteeing fit problems), he'd rather it just be made.  He was hoping that I would take on the task, but-- while I do own a sewing machine, garment construction is not really my forte.  I'm not a stickler for details and impatient as well, and those are things you need to be to create something to be worn.  He handed over a sketch he'd made to the neighbors and they said-- sure!!  Grab some fabric and we'll get to work!

Round glasses are cool, but octagon-shaped ones are better.

I said, "I can't even believe that you've never been to school for any of this!  I have and you trump me-- like, over and over again!"

And the neighbor said, "You went to school for fashion design?"

And I said, "Oh yeah."

The neighbor said, "Well I've seen what you wear, would you design a dress for me?"

And I said, after much spluttering,  "Of course!!  I would love to!"  and then, "do you like Lady Gaga?"  Idiot!, I thought.

"Hellooooooo!!!  I love Lady Gaga!  Can you design me something like that?"



This created a flood of exclamations of "Duh!"  "Hot!"  "Work!"  "Shit!"  "Sexxx!"  "Fab!" like I've never uttered to another since school.  It is so on.



I came away from this conversation with the bells of inspiration ringing in my head, and a burning desire to hear "Telephone".  For the party I was going to that night, I picked out my most rad accessory of all time-- my giant silver "E" necklace, to plan my outfit around.  And now I feel like I never want to go back into the beige carpeted room of dressing "nice". 


Well, I'll probably have to for work, but in the meantime, I can litter my outfit posts with giant, brightly-colored shapes and indulge in lots of flash photography at parties...

Yours,

Elissa.

[Outfit details:  Hat:  Urban Outfitters.  Jacket:  Macy's.  Dress:  Mad for Mod.  Shoes:  JC Penney.  "E" Necklace:  Thrifted.  Sunglasses:  Vintage store in Seattle.]

4 comments:

madam0wl, a.k.a Sandra said...

Fun story! You'll totally need to blog your dude's one-piece 20s style suit if it gets made.

LyddieGal said...

That's awesome. You've got some great neighbors, and I can't wait to see what you design!

Chic on the Cheap

alya said...

I love reading about your unorthodox social life. I always wondered how many people get into weird situations like this and you're putting it right out there so now I know I'm not the only one! More like this post, please.

ELM said...

Thank you all so much for your kind comments! Alya, I will certainly try!