Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Putting it together.

I always feel an eagerness to share an outfit that was fun to put together and felt great to wear it. Inspired by Cher's computerized closet in "Clueless", I took outfit pictures back in high school so I'd be stretched to not wear the same thing twice, but also so I could enjoy what I did put together, and what I liked, or didn't like on myself. In fact, I have often taken a head-to-toe of myself in lieu of a mirror before walking out the door.

However, I'm not a huge fan of outfit posts because I get jumpy in front of a camera. Things that I'd like to look dreamy look intense, things that are supposed to be intense feel deflated. A head-to-toe shot feels confrontational, and I can feel all of my expressiveness drain from my body when I do them. Bleh. That said, I've been percolating on how to get an outfit across without doing a head to toe, and without the use of a friendly friend (because nothing's worse than someone else having to witness your awkward camera-manner).

Behold: The Cubist Outfit Collage:

Dress: Vintage, thrifted. Shoes: Victoria's Secret. Bag: Thrifted. Earrings: World Market. Gigundous ring: Thrifted.

This is me today. My favorite feature is my gigundous ring... I should have included a shot that demonstrates how it flips open to reveal a mirror! The girl at the thrift informed me that this "ring" is actually a lipstick tube holder. Also, my obsession with summer-worthy vintage lingerie is still holding strong... this lovely nightgown-cum-dress was yanked off the rack by yours truly as soon as the guy holding it put it back. It's not sheer at all, and the shoulder ties are pretty aces in my book.

And, for good measure, here I am yesterday:

Earrings: Rag-o-rama. Dress: Target. Belt: Thrifted. Shoes: Thrifted. Leggings: Gift.


This second collage is my favorite so far, and it also showcases one of my favorite pairs... of shoes, a pair of perforated lace-up booties.

I don't know about you, but I'm certainly enjoying the hell out of making these... I'll wager you'll be seeing a few more of them! To those of you who take your own photos--- what's your process? I'm always interested to know how people get into the frame of mind to be photographed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Leave it to you to mix up the outfit shot formula. My only complaint is that I can't get a feel for how the outfit hangs together ... maybe take a page out of Lauren's book and don a mask? (Not kidding, I loved this shoot she did http://asiancajuns.blogspot.com/2009/04/i-like-to-keep-my-hand-in.html)

You know me, I just cheese it up when HM pulls out the camera!

Eyeliah said...

cool collage work!

H said...

hahaha, camera manners! yup, I feel the same way. I love what you've done, it's actually more expressive than the head to toe poses I'm used to doing for myself.