Monday, May 18, 2009

Cogitating...

Thankfully, I have a job as many around me are losing them. I heard on NPR last week that one in three Ohioans have lost their jobs. I like my job; as a merchandiser for regional grocery stores, I get a lot of variety in my workweek. The people I work with are ever-changing yet uniformly pleasant and hard-working, and my boss is extraordinarily cool.

However, it's not the glamorous fashion career I imagined myself setting forth on, and, as a firm believer in self-determination, it's difficult to place blame on the economy (Well then, try harder!) But I wonder if I'm looking for a company to satisfy more needs than it possibly could for me: the need for personal industry, entrepreneurialism, artistic expression, and accomplishment, especially in this economy.

But whether the circumstances are inside or out, my "dream vocation" is not going to fall into my lap (for now at least). I've got to work much harder than I thought-- so many of us do.

Below, a Polyvore that erupted out of my instant falling-in-love-with these flip-shade "Inventor" glasses from 80's Purple. They remind me intensely of Meryl Streep, and I thought that they were a natural pairing for something safari-inspired... (because Meryl Streep always reminds me of safaris).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know that feeling. And please don't bean me for ppouting clichés, but you WILL find your path. It may take a while, but it will happen. And if you can snag those phenomenal shoes in the meantime, you'll be chic and TALL while you explore.

Anonymous said...

AAAaaaand that should be "spouting clichés"

ELM said...

Madam, thank you for your encouragement. And you know what? Maybe I SHOULD get those shoes! You of all people, would know a good shoe investment when you seen one!

H said...

yup, I hear you. It's hard to focus on what you really want career wise when suddenly you're lucky enough to have a job. That's why I consider having lost my job as Tech Designer for A&F a blessing in disguise. What I really want is to be the Designer and ideally do my own stuff. And I know that will take some HARD work, for sure. As T.D. I was getting to the point where I was starting to feel too comfortable. It forced me to think up creative solutions. Kudos to you for what sounds like a good work environment, that certainly counts :)