Thursday, June 18, 2009

Short and Sweet/Things that I Thrift.

Taking a moment out of frantically cleaning house in anticipation of a big party we're throwing this weekend. Not for any particular reason, but it does happen to fall on the weekend that summer officially begins. According to the Farmer's Almanac, it's gonna be a hot one.

I thrifted the center picture some time ago, but it always looked weird all alone. Last week, my Sweetay was going through his Granny's old stuff and found 4 matching ones! They depict Revolutionary soldiers and their dress (Colonel of Artillery, American Dragoon, etc.)

Today, I worked way out in the country and had a couple of charming interactions with the people there. On my way out of the store, a little boy grabbed my hand from out of nowhere and pointed up, saying, "Look, look! Do you see the dot in the sky?" I looked and saw. "That's my balloon! I'm sending it to my Mommy. She died." There was no weirdness; the boy was laughing and smiling. "Oh, how sweet of you," I then said. "I'm sure she'll like that very much."

I picked up this plucky pair of unicorns at the countrified thrift today for a mere 50cents.

Soon afterwards, I walked past a barbershop with some guys sitting on the bench outside singing. "Don't quit your day jobs," I joked. Later, they passed me in the car and stopped to serenade me with Boyz II Men's "On Bended Knee".

I am in serious love with these shoes. I don't need anyone to tell me how to get them back the way they used to be, because they're in nearly-new condition.


Back to my Scrubbing Bubbles,

Elissa.

6 comments:

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Gasp! I used to have a unicorn like those when I was little--it was my favorite. Now I covet those...

Anonymous said...

That is just crazy about the Revolutionary soldier portraits ... what are the chances?

L.I.N said...

those are some shoes!!!

Missa said...

The soldier wall looks awesome, what a cool coincidence! I have a similar pair of little unicorns and those shoes are AWESOME.

ELM said...

The Clothes Horse: I used to have a series of 4 plaques depicting carousel horses when I was little...wish I had them now!

Missa: Maybe you, TCH and I should have a unicorn figurine meet-up? ;)

Bridgette said...

those shoes are AMAZING! your blog's very cool!