Saturday, December 13, 2008

The Contest!

As a kid, my family celebrated both Hannukah and Christmas. My dad is Jewish, and my mom is an atheist-- but she did want to pass on the Christmas goodtimes that she enjoyed as a kid. My favorite things about the holiday seasons included picking dried wax off of the menorah, the Vienna Boys' Choir record my dad ritually puts on, and reading from the beautifully illustrated 1958 paperback, Jolly Old Santa Claus.

Now, one of my favorite holiday things to do (in addition to egg nog and parties) is to go to antique stores and browse their Christmas wares...


The Most Awesome Lamp, Christmasified.


I love all the greens and blues-- the room in general was kind of Floridian themed, but I took the picture mostly because I actually stifled a scream when I saw this mannequin.



Why I didn't buy this clock, I don't know. I deserve all the coal.


Take a page from Bettie's book and do Christmas, naked!


Vignette comes complete with fossilized fruit cake and a very festive sock monkey.

This ubiquitous curvy gazelle statue takes a turn for the "ohh lala" in pink, matched with its own, tonal pink tree.

Now I pose this question to all of you--- what is your favorite thing about the holiday season? Leave your answer in the comments. The drawn-at-random winner will receive the kind of holiday cheer which can only be delivered by a copy of Beavis and Butthead Do Christmas. It is a used copy of it, because I find myself gainfully employed at a used DVD place, but it is nonetheless in perfect, hilarious condition, and looking for a place on your shelf next to "A Christmas Story" and "The Santa Clause" (or next to "Baseketball" and "Bewitched", depending on how your organize your stuff)! I can't wait to hear what you come up with! Contest ends at 12am EST on December 19!



.

7 comments:

RIMAR said...

Greetings! Nice blog! Check mine out --> chichiaffair.blogspot

Eyeliah said...

Woah - Beavis and Butthead have a Christmas movie?

My favorite thing about Christmas is the smell of Christmas trees!!

Unknown said...

Definitely mulled wine. Hands down. I mean. It's wine.

ELM said...

Rimar-- thanks and back atcha!

Eyeliah-- yes, it's really true. And I love that piney smell too!

Munted Kowhai: Someone was telling me about this stuff called "glue wine" (it's probably not spelled like that, though)... it's like mulled wine but triple concentrated and hot-- best served outdoors!

Drew Majoulet said...

my favourite thing about christmas is watching those old claymation cartoons from the early 60's (rudolph the red nosed reindeer and santa clause is coming to town!!), while sitting in my dark little house with all the christmas lights on, and treating myself to using the HEATER. but equally amazing is walking around the city with hot coffee and looking at everyones decorations, while my grandmother tries to get us to sing "12 days of christmas". amazing.

Alex M. said...

It's Gluehwein (the 'ue' is a 'u' with two dots over it), which is very popular in Nuremberg, Germany. It's wine mulled with cinammon, anise, cloves, orange rind, and maybe some other spices. Delicious and potent.

ELM said...

Mr. M--- that sounds bossayyy! Let's make some!